Saturday, May 2, 2009

Local News: X-Mas


Ok, welcome to my first "Local News" segment. Every week, I will report on a local/unsigned band that caught my attention. To get the ball rolling, I've decided to do this on a band in my area that I've been a fan of for a while, X-Mas. X-Mas is an experimental hardcore metal band that takes influence from the Nu-Metal movement of the late 90's/early 00's. I've had the pleasure seeing this band twise. Once opening for the Death By Decibels tour with Kataklysm, and the other time was is a little shitty club behind a tattoo parlor. Both times were amazing. Personally, I had more fun the second time, mainly because I knew a good bit of the songs they played that time. The first time I saw them I was so blown away that I bought their 5-song demo right on the spot for $3. The demo is entitled Poetry Of A Dead Society. Seems fitting.

It's no secret that I like to do Photoshop work. I've done a few designs for this band. Mainly a couple of flyers and, I've done some un-official artwork for their demo. I did that mainly because it bugs the Hell out of me if I have music on my iPod with no artwork.

I've listen to their demo a lot and, I must say, my favorite song off of it is "Forget The Stitches." You can also hear this song on the band's MySpace page. Something about that song just caught my attention. Maybe it's the catchy guitar riff at the beginning. Or maybe the working combination of clean vocals and growls. But, it's just a great song.

There's a chance that I might be seeing this band for the third time May 25th when they play Club Distortion. The only problem is they fall somewhere amongst 14 other bands and, I don't know how good they are. I might be sitting through a couple hours of crap to see a good band play for 30 minutes. Oh well.

Check out X-Mas on MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment