Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I Was Eviscerated At The Cannibal Corpse Show

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while but, I've been pretty busy lately. But, hey, it's not like a lot of people actually read this anyway. Anyway, I had the pleasure of seeing Cannibal Corpse last week and feel the need to post the show review. I managed to see them at a semi-small club on a Mayhem off-date with fellow Mayhem Festers The Black Dahlia Murder, Behemoth, and God Forbid. This was the first concert I've gone to without a friend to go with. And, I was fine with that. I mean, I was seeing Cannibal Corpse! Besides, when the band starts playing, it doesn't really matter who you're with. Plus, I got some pretty awesome pictures that are now on my MySpace page.

Anyway, I got there and I swear, this was the longest line I've ever seen at GroundZero. The last time I was there I was seeing Kataklysm and there was maybe 100 other people there. This time the club was PACKED. And for good reason. The first thing I did when I got inside, as I do with every concert I go to, I raced to the merch stand and bought myself a t-shirt. I finally own a Cannibal Corpse shirt. Oh happy day.

After buying my shirt I promptly folded it, stuffed it in my pocket and tried to get to the stage while everyone was still dispersed around the club so I could establish a spot close to the stage. And, I did manage to get pretty close just in time for God Forbid to take the stage. I've gotten really in to God Forbid since the release of their latest album Earthsblood. God Forbid's set was only about 35 minutes long. That's about 5 songs. Luckily for me, 3 of them were from the new album. Which is good because I don't really know their older stuff too well. God Forbid had a great energy during their set. Concidering this year their guitarist, and brother to most of the members, left the band. And God Forbid introduced us to the new guitarist. Maybe he'll stay. I don't know.

So, after God Forbid's set, I wandered down to the 2nd stage (this club has 2 stages) where some local band was playing. I stayed for about a song and quickly got back to the main stage to because Behemoth was next. Sadly, most of the people that were watching God Forbid were still there. So I had to settle with being a little further from the stage than I would like. It didn't effect me much. It just ment my pictures of them weren't as good.

So, Behemoth opened in the typical epic fashion they do. Now, I don't really know any Behemoth songs. I'm just getting into them this year so I haven't quite learned any of their songs. But, that didn't stop me from having fun. They have a great show. What with the corpse paint and all. And, I didn't know that the band likes to spit blood into the audience. So, I'm just watching the show. The guitarist seems to be doing something so I'm like, something epic is about to happen. So he spits the blood into the audience so I thought, ok, that's cool... AND IT LANDS IN MY EYE! I just got blood in my EYE! How awesome is that? The guy from Behemoth spat blood in my eye. That was one of the highlights of the night.

After Behemoth's set, it was so hot in the club, I just had to go sit down. So, I quickly found an empty seat and sat down to relax for a bit. Ya know, get on MySpace with my phone and stuff.

I noticed the guys for The Black Dahlia Murder setting their stuff up. I sat there for a second thinking about sitting this one out. I mean, they're not a band I know very well and it was just so hot. In the end, I decided to watch their set. Mainly to take pictures. They weren't terrible. They definitely have enough energy live but, it seems like their songs kinda run together when they play live. Maybe it's just because I don't really know any of their songs well enough to sing along or really get into it. The good news is, I was practically right in front of the stage.

So, of course because I was so close to the stage, I wasn't moving. I knew if I gave up my position with Cannibal Corpse coming up, I'd never get it back.

It was finally time for me to see one of the greatest death metal bands to ever walk the earth. Cannibal Corpse. The band opened with the song "Evisceration Plague." It's not uncommon for them to open with their newest single. I was kinda hoping they would let us know what the next single would be but, oh well. The band pretty much played all the songs you would expect. As well as some of the more obscure songs not even I knew. I was kinda disappointed they didn't play "Rotted Body Landslide." George made countless remarks as to how hot it was. I was relieved that a band was finally acknowledging it. I was starting to think I was along in this. Before they played "Hammer Smashed Face" George said "I want someone to buy me a beer. If I don't have a beer in my hand by the end of this song, I'm killing everyone." Of course 5 people bought him beers. He said that that was supposed to be the last song but, I guess he lied because they closed the show with my favorite song by them. "Stripped Raped And Strangled."

After they played, I rushed outside because, I remembered the was this club was set up and I knew, if I got outside fast enough I would be able to meet Cannibal Corpse. And I did. Well, I got to meet Alex Webster and George Fisher. Which is good enough for me. Plus, I got to meet Karl Sanders from Nile. I'm not sure why he was there but, he was. So I told him the story of how, when they played Ozzfest, my sister was about to pass out from the heat and they let us sit in the signing booth and I stole one of Karl's Monster drinks. He thought it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment